Story: Caving

Stewarts Cave (2nd of 3)

Stewarts Cave

Stewarts Cave lies beneath the Auckland suburb of Three Kings. It is named after James Stewart, a civil engineer who proved that parts of Auckland’s lava beds were cavernous. In 1870 he published New Zealand’s first cave survey, documenting the extent of Mortimer’s Cave at Three Kings. The lava flow, including the caves, has now been largely destroyed by quarrying.

Using this item

GNS Science
Reference: CN18801/30
Photograph by Lloyd Homer

Permission of GNS Science must be obtained before any use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Carl Walrond, 'Caving - Caves and life forms', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/11503/stewarts-cave (accessed 19 May 2019)

Story by Carl Walrond, published 24 Sep 2007