Deans Cottage at Riccarton in Christchurch is a relic of early European settlement in Canterbury. Brothers John and William Deans established a farm at the site, then known as Putaringamotu, in 1843. They built this modest cottage from timber cut in the nearby bush, part of which also survives.
Using this item
Te Ara – The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence