On Stephens Island in Cook Strait, the patch of large rocks around the white climate-monitoring box is known as the frog bank. Until recently this was the last stronghold of Hamilton’s frogs, which numbered around 300. They hide among the boulders by day to keep moist, and venture out at night to feed. There would have been more frogs when the island was covered in forest, before cattle and sheep were introduced around 1917. Another site has been found on a nearby island, and some frogs have been transferred there.
Using this item
Department of Conservation
Photograph by J. L. Kendrick
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.