Story: Te Āti Awa of Taranaki

Tauihu carved by Wiremu Kīngi Te Rangitāke

Tauihu carved by Wiremu Kīngi Te Rangitāke

This tauihu (bow figurehead) was gifted to the Duke of Edinburgh during his visit to New Zealand in 1869. It was carved by Wiremu Kīngi Te Rangitāke, the paramount Te Āti Awa chief, who led the return of his people from the Waikanae–Wellington area to Taranaki in 1848. He recognised that traditional lands were under threat from the growing number of settlers and opposed the sale of land.

Using this item

Auckland War Memorial Museum Tamaki Paenga Hira
Carving by Wiremu Kīngi Te Rangitāke

Permission of the Auckland War Memorial Museum Tamaki Paenga Hira must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Peter Adds, 'Te Āti Awa of Taranaki - Europeans arrive', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/object/789/tauihu-carved-by-wiremu-kingi-te-rangitake (accessed 6 December 2019)

Story by Peter Adds, published 8 Feb 2005, updated 22 Mar 2017