Girls traditionally demonstrated their embroidery skills on samplers – rectangular pieces of cloth adorned with different stitches. The earliest samplers made in New Zealand were made by girls from Anglican Church Missionary Society families. Elizabeth Marsden King created her sampler at the Te Puna Mission Station in the Bay of Islands in 1853. In the 2000s it was on display at the Te Waimate Mission House in Northland.
Using this item
Permission of Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga must be obtained before any re-use of this image.