This beautiful mere pounamu (greenstone club) is known as Te Raukaraka, or the leaf of the karaka, because of its unusual colour. It belonged to the Tauranga chief Koraurau, who presented it to Gilbert Mair, a Bay of Islands trader, in 1828. Mair did not immediately claim the gift and in 1864, after the death of both men, it was unearthed by British troops. It was restored to Koraurau's son, who then fulfilled his father's offer by giving it to Mair's son, Captain Gilbert Mair.
Using this item
Auckland War Memorial Museum Tamaki Paenga Hira
Permission of the Auckland War Memorial Museum Tamaki Paenga Hira must be obtained before any re-use of this image.