This cross was put up in 1906 at Tucker Cove, Campbell Island, by a farmhand. It records the graves of three men who died sealing on Campbell Island in the early 19th century. Their bodies had been disturbed by elephant seals and were discovered by the farm worker in 1902. He erected the cross with its copper angel four years later. Campbell Island was not a major site for sealing, but – like all the subantarctic islands – it did attract some men in pursuit of fur seals.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.