Story: Self-government and independence

Government seals

Government seals

In 1846 a royal charter split New Zealand into two provinces: New Munster and New Ulster (named after Irish provinces). New Munster included Stewart, the South and lower North islands; New Ulster comprised the rest of the North Island. Each province had its own government, overseen by the central government, which was based in Auckland. This changed with the passage of the Constitution Act 1852 and the setting up of six provincial governments.

These are the seals of New Zealand, New Ulster and New Munster. The New Zealand seal showed an English settler and a Māori chief standing opposite each other. The New Ulster seal featured a waka (canoe) on the open sea with Mt Taranaki (Mt Egmont) in the background, and the New Munster seal showed whalers chasing a whale. Both included the royal arms.

Using this item

Parliamentary Services

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

W. David McIntyre, 'Self-government and independence - Crown colony', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/object/32916/government-seals (accessed 6 December 2019)

Story by W. David McIntyre, published 20 Jun 2012