The Ancient Order of Foresters began in England in the 18th century, and was established in New Zealand as a friendly society in 1852. This banner for the Onehunga branch, founded in 1875, was the work of the English firm George Tutill & Sons. The motto on the reverse side, ‘We help widows and orphans’, sums up the Foresters’ role. Such institutions were typical of the many voluntary organisations brought from England to New Zealand at the time.
Using this item
Auckland War Memorial Museum Tamaki Paenga Hira
Permission of the Auckland War Memorial Museum Tamaki Paenga Hira must be obtained before any re-use of this image.