Story: Ngāti Ruanui

Millstones from Mokoia

Millstones from Mokoia

Ngāti Ruanui quickly adapted to a European economy, and by 1849 they were involved in two wheat mills supplying flour to European settlers. The millstones pictured here were originally used at a mill at Mokoia, just south of Hāwera. They are now held in the South Taranaki museum.

Using this item

South Taranaki District Museum

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Tony Sole, 'Ngāti Ruanui - A new order emerges', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/object/1887/millstones-from-mokoia (accessed 19 July 2024)

Story by Tony Sole, published 8 Feb 2005, updated 22 Mar 2017