By 1910 there had been substantial loss of Māori land. The remaining land in Māori ownership is shown in yellow. Ngāpuhi held pockets of land in the centre of the Northland peninsula where the soil was often poor and the vegetation scrubby.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.