The Whangārei tribes suffered greatly from the loss of their lands. By 1936 less than 4 hectares per head remained in Māori hands in the whole Auckland area. This map, prepared for the unpublished centennial historical atlas in the 1940s, shows in yellow the Māori-owned land in 1910; in the Whangārei area, the holdings were minuscule.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library, Centennial Historical Atlas Collection
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment