Story: Māori architecture - whare Māori

Rātana churches

Click on this map to see the temples of the Rātana faith, based on the original temple designed by church founder T. W. Rātana, which opened near Whanganui in 1927. The temples are decorated with symbolic shapes, such as stars cupped in crescent moons.

Using this item

Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Deidre Brown, 'Māori architecture - whare Māori - Rise of whare whakairo', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/interactive/45745/ratana-churches (accessed 18 May 2022)

Story by Deidre Brown, published 22 Oct 2014