Though the land fund (revenue from land sales) was made part of colonial revenue in 1877, land boards were established in each provincial area to oversee the development and settlement of its public (Crown) lands. The establishment of land districts for North Auckland and Gisborne in 1919 and 1922 respectively was recognition of the scale of settlement activity then taking place in those two areas.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Source: Land Information New Zealand
Add new comment