Wesleyan (Methodist) missionaries established five mission stations in the King Country. Three were set up around Kāwhia Habour between 1834 and 1838, one at Whakatumutumu on the upper Mōkau River (1843), and another at Te Māhoe near the mouth of the Mōkau River (1843). A Lutheran mission station was also established on the upper Mōkau River in 1844. Little visual evidence of the missions remain, but the sites of some are marked by monuments. Scroll over the mission names in boxes to see the sites.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.