Te Temepara Tapu o Ihoa (the holy temple of Jehovah) remains the focal point of life at Rātana Pā, and is a kind of Mecca for ngā mōrehu (the scattered remnant, Rātana's name for his followers). It contains within it the symbolism of the entire Rātana cosmology. Replicas of the temple have been built around the country. The first was Te Whare Whakamoemiti (the house of thanks) in Raetihi. Ngā Tapuwae o Te Māngai (the footsteps of the mouthpiece) is in Te Kao and commemorates Rātana's journey there in 1920. Another is Te Reo Pōwhiri (the welcoming voice), and recalls Rātana's journey to the far north in 1929.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.