The Marine Parade Gardens on Napier’s foreshore were created after the 1931 earthquake. Rubble from destroyed buildings was used to reclaim the land from the sea. Several of Napier’s best-known built features are located in the gardens. The sound shell, with its accompanying colonnades and arches, and the Veronica Sun Bay (which is named after a Royal Navy ship) commemorate the earthquake. The Tom Parker Fountain was built in 1936 after Parker, a local businessman, donated money for this purpose. The famous Pania of the Reef statue was presented to the city by the Napier 30,000 Club in 1954. Other notable features of the Marine Parade area are the Spirit of Napier Fountain, the War Memorial Centre, the Aquarium of New Zealand and Marineland.
Photograph of Marine Parade courtesy of Above Hawke’s Bay
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.