Story: Freight and warehousing

Local freight in North Canterbury

Coastal settlements were visited by a ‘mosquito fleet’ of boats that carried freight (and sometimes passengers). Rivers like the Heathcote in Christchurch were busy thoroughfares, dotted with wharves and drop-off points. Ten- and 20-ton vessels loaded off beaches. Cargoes varied. In 1877, the 21-ton ketch XXX (also the name of a local beer) carried a cargo of 20 sacks of mats, seven garden seats and one case of lamps, earning £4 4s. 6d. The return-voyage cargo was 37 bales of wool, 196 sheepskins, nine hides and five bags of fat, for a charge of £14 6s. 4d. Smaller vessels like the XXX would sometimes carry refrigerated meat and dairy products directly to overseas ships at Lyttelton or Timaru, or berth at the ‘freezer wharf’ below the meat works at Kaiapoi.

 

 

 

 

Using this item

Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

Source: Les Daw, The tidal travellers: the small ships of Canterbury.  Christchurch: A & M Publishers, 1991, pp. 32, 82

 

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Matthew Wright and Megan Cook , 'Freight and warehousing - Shipping: the coastal trade', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/interactive/23449/local-freight-in-north-canterbury (accessed 22 September 2020)

Story by Matthew Wright and Megan Cook , published 11 Mar 2010