Story: Pets

Formation of SPCAs in New Zealand

The first New Zealand branch of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) was set up in Canterbury in 1882. Following this, more branches were established around the country, starting in major towns and cities, and later spreading to country districts. A federation of SPCAs was established in 1933, and in 1980 this was reorganised as the Royal New Zealand Society for the Prevention of Cruelty for Animals (RNZSPCA).

Roll your mouse over the cities and towns to find out when various SPCA branches were founded.

Using this item

Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

Source: Veronika Thornburrow, ed, An introduction to the history of the Royal New Zealand Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Auckland: RNZSPCA, 1993, pp. 64–65

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Nancy Swarbrick, 'Pets - Animal welfare history', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/interactive/19741/formation-of-spcas-in-new-zealand (accessed 7 July 2020)

Story by Nancy Swarbrick, published 24 Nov 2008