The pastoral stations in Canterbury were taken up over a period of 19 years. Motunau, the oldest Canterbury station, was established in 1847. Birchhill Station, almost at the foot of Aoraki/Mt Cook, was applied for in 1865 and was the last station taken up in Canterbury. Click on the arrow (right) to see the annual take-up of Canterbury sheep stations from around 1850 to 1865.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Source: Robert L. Peden, ‘Pastoralism and the transformation of the rangelands of the South Island of New Zealand 1841 to 1912: Mt Peel Station, a case study’ (PhD thesis, University of Otago, 2007), pp. 78–80