This licence was issued to Frederick Flint, owner of the boat Gentle Annie, who fished at Kaikōura from 1890 to the early 1920s. Licensing fishing boats was introduced in 1908. Fishing regulations gradually increased, but in general fishermen were still able to catch whatever they wanted until the introduction of the quota management system in 1986. This restricted the total catch by species.
Using this item
Kaikoura District Museum and Archives
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Add new comment