Caroline Bay, Timaru, was one of the first New Zealand beaches to be developed along the lines of an English seaside resort. From 1897 the Caroline Bay Association, consisting of local business leaders, began to turn it into the ideal holiday destination, with a promenade and recreation facilities. In this coloured postcard, produced between 1912 and 1915, a brass band plays in the band rotunda, with a huge crowd of people looking on.
Using this item
Permission of the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa must be obtained before any re-use of this image.