In 1840 the North Island, South Island and Stewart Island were named New Ulster, New Munster and New Leinster respectively, after provinces in Ireland. From 1846 New Ulster and New Munster were made provinces. New Munster, whose seal is shown here, included all the South Island and the southern part of the North Island. Despite the Irish name, however, there were a mere 175 Irish people living in the province in 1848.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Add new comment