Tui Glen in Henderson, West Auckland, is thought to be the oldest registered camping ground in New Zealand. It was opened by Claude Brookes in 1924, and originally only catered for those arriving in private motor cars or on motorcyles. By 1933, when this advertisement appeared, the camp also welcomed pedestrians and cyclists. It offered donkey rides, boat and canoe hire, and huts adapted from ships' cabins. In 2002 the Waitakere City Council closed the site after public concern over long-term occupants. Several of its historic buildings were later restored and reopened.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: B-K 943-8
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.