This postcard features an art print of the neo-Gothic style complex that made up Parliament Buildings in Wellington in 1904. The building on the left, made of wood, contained the House of Representatives and Legislative Council. The one on the right, made of masonry, was the General Assembly Library (later the Parliamentary Library), designed by Thomas Turnbull and completed in 1899. When Parliament caught fire in 1907, the masonry survived the inferno while the wooden buildings were destroyed.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment