The seat of Parliament moved from Auckland to Wellington in 1865. At first Parliament was housed in the old Wellington Provincial Council chambers. This accommodation soon proved too small, and renovations and alterations were made during the 1860s and 1870s. In the 1880s a substantial masonry extension was built and in the early 1890s the grounds were landscaped. Later that decade a new General Assembly library was built. This postcard from the early 1900s shows the new library, with its impressive entrance. The wooden Parliament buildings (to the left of the library, and not visible here) burned down in December 1907.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Add new comment