The roots of the Griffins biscuit business were in the flour and cocoa milling business set up by colonist John Griffin in Nelson in 1864. The mill did well, and Griffin began making biscuits and sweets, probably helped by members of his large family, with whom he had immigrated. When a fire destroyed the original Nelson factory in 1895, rebuilding was funded by setting up Griffin and Sons Limited and selling shares in the company. The company thrived, and was well known a century later for its Gingernut and Mallowpuff biscuits.
Using this item
Nelson Provincial Museum, Archives Collection
Permission must be sought from Nelson Provincial Museum before any re-use of this image.