Some wealthier women copied their menfolk and formed clubs. Here they could meet like-minded women, attend lectures, and discuss the issues of the day in a refined atmosphere. Men were barred. This is a membership renewal notice for the Wellington Women’s Club from 1936. The club had been formed a decade before and had a membership that fluctuated between 300 and 400. It merged with the Savage Club in 1988.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.