The Lake Hotel overlooking Lake Pupuke was built in 1887 by Edwin Harrow. Many locals opposed the issuing of a liquor licence for the hotel and several attempts were made to burn down the hotel. In 1909 a blaze destroyed the building – members of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union were blamed. The hotel was not rebuilt. This is a black-and-white photograph that has been coloured later.
Using this item
Auckalnd Libraries, Takapuna Library Photograph Archive
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.