From the early 1900s there was a new respect for the bush. In Canterbury, conservationist Harry Ell promoted a network of scenic reserves around bush remnants on the Port Hills above Christchurch. The first was at Kennedy’s Bush, above his father’s farm. This 1906 poster (from Ell's scrapbook) urged the public to donate to the project. Later a rest house for recreational walkers, the Sign of the Kiwi, was built on the edge of the reserve.
Using this item
Christchurch City Libraries
Reference: PhotoCD 1, IMG0079 Archive 202
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.