Story: Horticultural use of native plants

Nursery catalogue

Nursery catalogue

Duncan & Davies nursery in New Plymouth was the main supplier of native plants between 1918 and 1980. Victor Davies, a founding director, was a skilled plantsman and businessman, building the firm into the largest nursery in the southern hemisphere. This is the front of an early catalogue, featuring kōwhai (Sophora microphylla), cabbage tree (Cordyline australis), pōhutukawa (Metrosideros excelsa) and a fern.

Using this item

Duncan & Davies Nursery

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Maggy Wassilieff, 'Horticultural use of native plants - History', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/ephemera/10449/nursery-catalogue (accessed 20 October 2019)

Story by Maggy Wassilieff, published 24 Sep 2007