On 25 February 1927 a carved meeting-house named Uenuku-mai-Rarotonga was opened at Punawhakareia in Te Rotoiti. It had been moved from where it first stood in Maketū. A report on the hui in the newspaper Te Toa Takitini included whakapapa – a common occurrence in Māori newspapers. Often whakapapa were used to link deceased rangatira to the major waka and iwi of New Zealand. In this case it was employed to explain the tribal linkages to the meeting-house.
Using this item
Niupepa: Maori newspapers
Reference: Te Toa Takitini, 1 Aperira (April), 1927, p. 574
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Add new comment