This is the cover of the programme for the Levin Car Club's first-ever race meeting, in January 1956. The figure-eight circuit inside a horse-racing track was New Zealand's first permanent motor racing circuit. Both cars and motorcycles, with national and international drivers, competed in this inaugural meeting and 18,000 spectators jammed the roads leading to the event. Some 60 further race meetings were held at the Levin circuit before it closed in 1975.
Using this item
Kete Horowhenua, Horowhenua Historical Society
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 New Zealand Licence