This double mōkihi (raft) was a type constructed by people of the Ngāti Porou tribe. It was made from the wood of the whau or houama tree, which was extremely buoyant. The whau was pinned together with hard wood such as mānuka, and lashed together with pirita.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Reference: Elsdon Best, The Maori canoe. Wellington: Dominion Museum, 1925, p. 136
Drawing by E. Richardson
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.