This painting was completed by Kāterina Mataira about 1957. At that time she was teaching in Northland as one of the itinerant arts advisers to primary schools in a scheme set up by Gordon Tovey in the Department of Education. Like other Māori artists, she sought to bring together Māori art traditions with modernist work. Later Mataira became a leading advocate for Māori-language education and was made a dame for her work.
Using this item
Whāngārei Art Museum
Mixed media by Katerina Mataira
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.