This is a 1911 rendering of Auckland's new General Post Office. It was designed by Government Architect John Campbell in the Edwardian baroque idiom of the classical revival style, and was faced with Ōamaru stone and Coromandel granite. The building's facade has a tripartite division and each end is surmounted by a squat tower and cupola. The structure was constructed in front of the former railway station, with two elaborate gates either side of the building leading to it. The gates were demolished when the station was relocated in the 1930s. In 2006 the post office was incorporated into the new Britomart transport centre. Much of the interior was gutted, but the impressive glass-domed banking chamber was retained.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.