This watercolour of Victoria College's first chemistry laboratory was painted by Sybil Johnson in 1901. The college's first chemistry and physics laboratories were set up at the Wellington Technical School on Victoria Street in 1899. Conditions were initially primitive, but the laboratory was more adequately supplied with equipment following a government grant in 1900. Chemistry laboratories were established at the Kelburn campus in 1906.
Using this item
Adam Art Gallery Te Pātaka Toi
Watercolour by Sybil Johnson, 1901
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.