V-huts, named for their inverted-V shape, were timber-framed tent homes built as temporary shelters for Canterbury settlers in the 1850s while they constructed more permanent houses. The ironically named ‘Studding Sail Hall’, the V-hut of Alfred Barker and his family in 1851, was made into a cosy dwelling with the addition of a few items of furniture brought over from England, including a table, chairs, shelves, clock and chest of drawers (visible just inside the door). The two-roomed hut was painted green inside.
Using this item
Pen and ink drawing by Alfred Charles Barker
Permission of Canterbury Museum, Rolleston Avenue, Christchurch, New Zealand must be obtained before any re-use of this image.