Neat rows of military tents form the encampment of the naval ship HMS Harrier, shown at anchor in the background. This camp was pitched at Drury on Manukau Harbour in 1863 to support troops fighting in the Waikato wars. Circular conical tents were the standard pattern used by British and colonial armed forces in New Zealand in this period.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.