In 1846 martial law was proclaimed over the lower North Island in response to threatened military action by the chiefs Te Rangihaeata and Te Rauparaha. Armed police, led by Inspector D. S. Durie of Wellington and supported by soldiers and sailors, arrested several chiefs. including Te Rauparaha, at the site of present-day Plimmerton in July 1846, and confiscated arms and ammunition. This drawing shows the securely fenced police stockade at Paremata on Porirua Harbour, with a raupō hut standing on its seaward side.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Pencil sketch by William Swainson
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment