Story: Governors and governors-general

Government House, Auckland, 1840s (1st of 6)

Government House, Auckland, 1840s

In 1841 workers assembled Governor William Hobson’s Government House in Auckland from 250 tonnes of material shipped out from England. It had 16 rooms and cellar space for 600 bottles of wine, but not even some additions designed by the governor himself could make it warm or comfortable. It burned down on 23 June 1848.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: E-216-f-005
Watercolour by Edward Ashworth

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Gavin McLean, 'Governors and governors-general - Vice-regal support', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/33660/government-house-auckland-1840s (accessed 17 December 2018)

Story by Gavin McLean, published 20 Jun 2012, reviewed & revised 28 Sep 2016