Story: Empire and Commonwealth

Government building

Government building

A crowd gathers at the corner of Lambton Quay and Molesworth Street in Wellington in 1857 to see the foundation stone laid for the new provincial council's houses of assembly. In 1865, when New Zealand's capital moved to Wellington from Auckland, Parliament met in the same building as the provincial council.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: A-018-021

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

W. David McIntyre, 'Empire and Commonwealth - Government within the empire', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/33217/government-building (accessed 21 October 2019)

Story by W. David McIntyre, published 20 Jun 2012