An image of the First Church of Otago was included in a series of postage stamps marking the centenary of Otago in 1948. The name 'First Church' refers not to the building but to the congregation, which occupied a number of buildings before the construction of this building on (a flattened) Bell Hill. Designed in neo-Gothic style by the architect Robert Lawson, and opened in 1873, it is regarded as Lawson's masterpiece. It remains both a memorial to Thomas Burns's mission – he was the congregation's first minister – and a significant Dunedin landmark.
Using this item
New Zealand Post
Reference: 1948 Centennial of Otago stamp issue
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.