Story: Nelson region

Church Hill fort, October 1843

Church Hill fort, October 1843

Following the Wairau affray, Nelson settlers feared attack by Māori. Church Hill was fortified and named Fort Arthur, and Māori were barred from attending church services for fear they would spy on the defences.

Using this item

Hocken Library, University of Otago
Reference: 94/260

Permission of the Hocken Library Uare Taoka o Hakena, University of Otago, must be obtained before any re-use of this image. Further information may be obtained from the Library through its website.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Carl Walrond, 'Nelson region - Māori history', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, (accessed 26 June 2024)

Story by Carl Walrond, updated 1 Aug 2015