The mission station at Kohimarama (Mission Bay) in Auckland was the headquarters for Church Missionary Society work in Melanesia in 1863, when this drawing was made. The mission buildings on the waterfront include a school for training Melanesian boys. The school was later moved to Norfolk Island. One of these buildings survives in 2019.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.