The third Church Missionary Society mission station (after Rangihoua and Kerikeri) was set up at Paihia in 1823. It was known to some locals as 'Heaven' because of its contrast with the nearby whaling village of 'Hell', or Kororāreka (later renamed Russell). This 1830 watercolour, possibly by Henry Williams, shows a croquet lawn and the house where Williams lived with his wife, Marianne.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Watercolour by Henry Williams
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment