Story: Large companies

Bank of New Zealand, Invercargill (2nd of 2)

Bank of New Zealand, Invercargill

Banks in larger towns tended to be ostentatious. This was the Invercargill branch of the Bank of New Zealand (BNZ) in the 1880s. The government took a shareholding in BNZ in 1885, and in 1894 it became the majority shareholder, moving its head office to Wellington. The government’s ownership of the BNZ, and use of it as its banker, allowed it to become the largest trading bank. The BNZ was fully nationalised in 1945.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: N-P 1701-1

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Gary Hawke, 'Large companies - Finance, transport and ownership, 19th and 20th centuries', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/25952/bank-of-new-zealand-invercargill (accessed 17 August 2022)

Story by Gary Hawke, published 11 Mar 2010