Single-hulled waka (canoes) were developed by Māori to transport loads along New Zealand’s narrow waterways. The craft were usually propelled by a crew of paddlers, and were sometimes fitted with sails. This lithograph of Auckland Harbour in 1853 shows both types of waka, alongside European sailing ships and smaller craft.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.