An important form of investment by early European settlers was in various types of buildings. To the right of William Holmes’s ink sketch of Wellington in 1854 is the wharf and warehouse constructed by John Plimmer. The warehouse was built on the wreck of the barque Inconstant and became known as the ‘Ark’. Along the shore can be seen other commercial buildings, notably Barrett’s Hotel.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.