Public buildings were among the first to be erected in new towns. This painting shows buildings along Napier’s Tennyson Street in 1860, six years after the settlement was founded. The government land office (far right) controlled land sales. Bluff Hill is in the background
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Watercolour by James C. Collins
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment